Call us in Omaha and Lincoln: 402-970-1350

Frequently Asked Questions

Radon is a naturally occurring, radioactive gas that is odorless, tasteless and colorless.

Radon occurs naturally as an indirect decay product of either uranium or thorium in soil, rock, or even water.  Radon enters your home or other building through foundation cracks and other openings, where it can in many cases build up to levels dangerous to your health.

Exposure to radon is the second leading cause of lung cancer after smoking, according to the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).

Nebraska has a very high incidence of radon in homes. According to the Department of Health and Human Services, more than half of radon tests in the state are above the action level of 4.0 pCi/L.

Breathing radon gas doesn’t create any noticeable health symptoms, such as a headache or an upset stomach. Symptoms will appear only after lung cancer has developed, which may take several years.

The EPA recommends testing all homes for radon, no matter where you live. The test can be performed and evaluated by a licensed professional. You also can purchase a radon testing kit from a local home improvement store, or from a national program such as KSU’s National Radon Program Services.

If your test shows a radon level of 4 pCi/L or more, you need to consult a professional radon mitigator at SRE HomeServices.  Our licensed mitigator will install a solution to safely ventilate the gas and reduce radon to acceptable levels. This will reduce the risk for long-term damage to your family’s health.  Contact us to set up a time to inspect your home and develop a custom radon mitigation system.

No. Radon levels vary from house to house. You’ll need to test your house, too.